Greece is a spectacular European country which attracts millions of tourists from different parts of the world for its ancient relics, archaeological sites, pristine beaches, lip-smacking cuisine, quaint villages, mountainous landscapes and many more. Greek Island Hopping Hostelbay Offers are best in terms of value and affordability.
Let us discuss some of the famous places in Greece which are renowned tourist destinations and attract tourists from different parts of the globe:
- Greek Islands: A group of 20,000 islands, the spellbinding Greek Islands are a famous tourist destination of Greece which are dotted with spectacular beaches, colorful harbors, active volcanoes, old relics and so on. Among all the Greek islands, Santorini, a part of the Cyclades group, is the most beautiful island. Other spectacular islands from the Cyclades group include Mykonos, famous for its maze-like streets and white-washed houses, Rhodes, famous for its happening beaches, Corfu, famous for its British and Venetian culture and so on.
- Athens: One of the oldest cities of the world is the center of Western civilization and showcase a mixture of old and modern culture. Once in the city, tourists can visit famous archaeological sites such as the Acropolis, the Parthenon, the ancient Agora, the theatre of Dionysos etc. The city also offers an exciting nightlife and is an essential centre for business, commerce, and culture in Greece.
- Crete: The largest Greek island, Crete offers spectacular landscapes, magnificent coastlines, huge mountains, forests dotted with olive trees, along with archaeological relics of many cultures that were once present here. In Crete, one can find a mixture of both, quite villages as well as busy city life dotted with Greek cafeteria and restaurants.
- Meteora: Meteora refers to a group of cliffs that emerge up to a height of 1200 feet above the villages of Kalambaka and Kastraki in the North Central mainland of the country. Many historic monasteries are situated at the top of the cliffs which are visited by a number of pilgrims and monks.
- Delphi: Located along the slopes of Mount Parnassus, Delphi is a famous archaeological site of Greece which is dedicated to the God Apollo. This place used to attract thousands of people in the ancient times who would come with a wide range of questions to the priestess and seek advice regarding the problems in their lives. Some important structures at Delphi include the Temple of Apollo, the Athenian Treasury, the theatre and hippodrome that hosted the ancient Pythian Games etc.
- Peloponnese: This leaf-shaped Peninsula is located in the southernmost part of Greece and is attached to the mainland by the Rio-Antirrio Bridge. The place is the venue for the very first Olympic Games that were hosted in the honor of Zeus. Apart from all these, Peloponnese has numerous tourist attractions like Greek temples, Venetian fortresses, Byzantine churches, Mycenaean palaces and so on.
- Halkidiki: Halkidiki is a combination of three peninsula namely Kassandra, famous for its nightlife, Sinthonia, famous for its spectacular beaches and Athos, famous for its monks. These peninsula attract numerous tourists for their picturesque view.
- Zagori: Dotted with thick forests, rugged mountains, quaint villages, and pristine rivers, Zagori is famous for its serene natural beauty.
- Thessaloniki: Capital of the Macedonian region and the second largest city of Greece, Thessaloniki is a happening city with an exciting nightlife, enchanting festivals, and many other activities. Once in the city, tourists can witness its bizarre Byzantine walls, White Tower, Turkish bath, food markets, museums, art galleries and the list is endless.
- Cape Sounion: The remains of the ancient Greek temple of Poseidon, the God of Sea is located here which makes this place famous. The relics of the temple are surrounded by sea on all three sides and viewing the sunset over the Aegean Sea from the temple relics is a spectacular sight to witness.
Best Time to Visit: The Best time to visit Greece is spring and early summer (middle of April to the middle of June) and also autumn ( September to the middle of October) when the temperature remains moderate and the climate is favorable.
Thus, by availing any of the Greece Holiday Packages, tourists can explore this awesome place and visit its famous archaeological sites, mountains, temples, beaches, forests etc, taste the mouth-watering cuisine, meet the local people and learn about their lifestyle and make memories of a lifetime.